This version of Chicken Sausage Cacciatore may be lighter than traditional chicken cacciatore, but it's still heavy on taste. Chunks of sauteed chicken sausage swimming in our garlicky tomato-veggie sauce make for a hearty main-dish meal.
Cooking Time: 25 min
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound chicken sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 10 plum tomatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over
medium-high heat then add sausage, and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until no
longer pink in center. Remove to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to skillet. Add garlic, bell
pepper, and onion, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in
mushrooms, tomatoes, salt, and black pepper, and cook 7 to 10 more
minutes, or until tomatoes have broken down.
- Return sausage to skillet and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through. Serve over warm penne pasta.